Favorite Family Recipes. . .
When someone asks for the recipe, we post it here.

Authentic German Potato Salad

So. . . what makes it "Authentic?"
The recipe was handed down verbally to my mother by her Aunt Martha and my mother taught me how to make it when I was
twelve years old.
When I asked my mother for the recipe in college, she scribbled out the ingredients for me on an empty box of baking soda.
The recipe is "Authentic" because Aunt Martha came to the United States from Germany in the
early 1900's and this is
"how 'dey make it in 'da Deutschland."

~*~*~*~

Ingredients
• 6 - 8 cups diced skin-on (not peeled) potatoes

• 1 lb bacon

• 1 large red onion, chopped

• 1/2 bunch green onions, chopped

• 1/2 cup white vinegar

• 1/4 cup water

• 1/4 cup + "a little more" [2 Tbsp] white sugar

• 2 tsp salt

• 1/4 tsp ground black pepper

• 1 tsp celery seed

• 3-4 Tbsp freshly chopped parsley


Instructions

• Boil potatoes until easily pierced with a fork. Do not overcook.

• Drain and set the potatoes aside to cool completely.

• In a large deep skillet, fry the bacon until crisp, turning as needed.
Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside.

• Crumble the bacon once cooled.

• No NOT discard bacon grease.

• Add the chopped red and green onion to the bacon grease and cook over medium heat until soft.

• Add the vinegar, water, sugar, celery seed, salt and pepper to the skillet with the onions and bring the mixture to a boil.

• Add the cooled potatoes and bacon to the vinegar mixture and combine thoroughly. (If skillet is not large enough for entire recipe, use a larger pot.)

• Heat entire recipe through then transfer to a serving bowl.

• Can be served immediately -- or refrigerated and warmed again before serving.
(It actually tastes better when refrigerated and re-warmed.
The refrigeration gives the flavors time to blend.)



* This same bacon/onion/vinegar/sugar sauce can be used over fresh spinach
for a wonderful wilted spinach salad too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this recipe! My husband has hacked for quite some time for me to make authentic German potato salad. I decided to try your version and he loves it. I, too, love it! I am now nominated to make it for Christmas dinner. I will keep this recipe for a long time and will be passing it along to friends, and eventually my daughter.